Thursday, September 18, 2008

What's In a Name?

Week 6
September 18, 2008
Mom

Feeling a little better today. What a nightmare yesterday was! After my lunch fiasco I really wasn't in the mood for dinner (steaks that I had taken out in the morning), so all I ate was salad and potatoes. When I decide that I need to act on a craving, I need to do so a little more carefully!

So one of my favorite activities these days is to look at baby name books. What fun! I have one here at home but it was published in 1998 (when we were deciding on a name for C.), so I need to go to the library and get more. There are plenty of websites with baby name ideas, but I find them harder to navigate. I like to read a book, writing down ideas as I go along. I find on the web you have to come up with your own ideas and then look them up. If anyone has any good book/website suggestions, give a shout.

I know the kids will be enthusiastic about choosing a name. I'm sure we will get some good ones. I tend to like the Irish/British/Scottish names. Everything I've written down so far seems to go that way. T. has come up with some really good ones too that I like. One in particular for a boy that always makes me smile. But even if I adore the name, I don't think I'd want to finalize it just yet -- I like the idea of being ready, but not being completely certain.

My friend D.'s big thing about choosing a name is the meaning. I haven't given that much thought to be honest but now I'm wondering if I find a name I love and then find out it means "will terrorize her mother" if I'd still want it.

Deciding on names is one of the reasons why I don't like to find out if it is a boy or a girl ahead of time. This way we get to choose two names and go from there. There's just so much potential!

No comments: