Monday, September 15, 2008

Spoiler Alert: I'm Pregnant!

Week 5
September 15, 2008
Mom

When I was in elementary school, particularly grades 4, 5 and 6, one of my least favorite parts of the day was when we read aloud as a class. Even back then I was a very fast reader and the super-slow pace of reading as part of group used to drive me idiot. So to preserve my own sanity and curb my boredom, I'd hold the place of where the class was in the book with one finger and read ahead quietly on my own.

One of the problems that I would run into was when the teacher would pause the reading to ask questions of the class about different plot points -- where we thought the book was going to go, or how a certain character felt at that point in the story. I'd have to do my best to not let on that not only did I know Tom testifies at Muff Potter's trial, but that he and Huck eventually find that treasure. (Apologies to those who haven't read Tom Sawyer yet -- what are you waiting for?)

This is how I kind of feel right now, not telling anyone about this baby. Now maybe I don't know how the story ends, but I certainly have a fair idea of what direction the plot is going, where all of my family and friends haven't even opened the book!

No comments: