Friday, October 3, 2008

How to Make a Scene at a 5-year-old Birthday Party

Week 8
October 3, 2008
Mom

One group of friends that I was especially excited about sharing our big news with was the moms from A.'s playgroup. Made up of 11 women, we've been meeting just about every week for the past year so the kids can get together and play. We originally met over two years ago through preschool on the drop-off/pick-up line, eventually formed a book club and because we couldn't get enough, created a playgroup for the summer and off days of preschool (which meets rarely now because all the kids are in kindergarten, but all the girls are in Daisies together now, so no worries!).

Anyway, it's a wonderful group of friends and I feel lucky to be part of such an amazing assembly of moms and women. I couldn't wait to tell them. In fact, on more than one occasion, I almost spilled the beans too early but found some willpower. This past Tuesday one of the moms was hosting what I thought was a regular playgroup. The kids were all off because of the holidays and she thought it would be fun to get the girls and their siblings together to paint pumpkins.

I figured this would be a great time to tell everyone, although part of me was dreading it a little. I wasn't sure how I'd do it. I'm not big on "announcements" and making a big scene, but with 11 women and many more kids, speaking to each person individually wasn't a viable option. I had thought about calling one or two friends beforehand, but quickly rejected that idea. If I have the opportunity to tell the news in person, I would rather do it that way than over the phone. My hope was to get to the party early, tell one or two people and then let the news carry itself.

Anyway, not entirely certain how I was going to handle it, A. and I walked into the house. I was feeling especially proud of myself because that morning I had been feeling well for once and made some muffins to share at the playdate. (Our rule is, everybody must bring something for lunch, but you can't buy it, it has to come from your pantry.)

You know that feeling you get when you realize you've just done something very dumb? I got one of those when I looked around and saw a cake, presents and a decorations. Yes, you guessed it -- it was a BIRTHDAY PARTY! (And not a surprise one for me either.) Trying to stay as calm and as cool as possible, I asked my friend, L., if it was her daughter's birthday.

"Not today," she said. "On the 2nd."

Long pause from me as I continued to look around the room wildly, trying to keep the panic out of my voice. "Um, is this supposed to be her party?"

L. looked up from pouring drinks and seeing not a gift in my hands, but a tray of muffins, quickly realized my predicament. "Oh A., it's OK. Don't worry about it."

She was genuinely being nice, but all the emotions of well, everything came crashing down on me at once. "I can't believe I just did that," I cried, feeling the tears welling up. "I've just been so, well, it's all been too much and I'm pregnant and I keep forgetting things and I don't even remember hearing that it was a party and I'm sorry..."

Before I continue with my ramble, the hostess and the other two moms that were in the room stopped me with their yells.

"You're what????"

I stopped my whinging and looked at them, not even realizing what I had said or done. "Oh. Um, I'm pregnant?"

So much for not causing a scene.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha You're adorable =o)