Monday, October 20, 2008

Fashion Plate

Week 10
October 20, 2008
Mom

So yesterday I put on maternity clothes for the first time in six years.

Stop your giggling. I'm aware that I'm only 10 weeks pregnant and that I'm no more showing than I was on the day I found out I was expecting.

The thing is, my current clothes, although they fit, were uncomfortable. This was especially true for the pants and jeans. Sometimes they were tight, sometimes too loose and I would never know what I was going to get.

We were having a busy, on-the-go day yesterday so I wanted to be comfy. T. had found a bunch of clothes I had saved from when I was pregnant with C. and A. and I had washed them last week. I saw the bin in the closet and figured why not.

I cannot believe how good they felt. The pants were big -- not only is my belly too small to hold up the lovely (read: ugly) elastic panel, but because of my weight loss, they were too big in general.

It didn't matter. There was no pressure on my belly and it was wonderful. I find that women have a weird love/hate relationship with maternity clothing. The idea of putting them on just seems awful, particularly when you think that:
  • you don't have that many to wear, and
  • you'll be wearing them for the next five or six months
I was in that hate group until for the first time in a while, I came home yesterday and didn't feel like I needed to change into my pajamas. I think though, that most women do come around (albeit a touch later than I did). You are so used to feeling confined in your "regular" clothes, that when you put on the maternity wear it's like you are suddenly free. This grows old again around the ninth month when you just want the baby to be born already and you want your own body back.

One more thing: If you can't get enough of my crazy ramblings here, check out my new blog on What to Expect -- Shock and Aww. (Thanks to T. for the name idea.)

No comments: